The employment market is hysteric. Often, the number of job posts exceeds the number of applicants. As a result, it has become necessary for an organization to realize the importance of a seamless onboarding process to retain the top talents in their organization.
Mostly, the onboarding process is the only key to eliminating stress on new hires and letting them know that they had made just the right decision of joining this new team. A firm must analyze the importance of a warm welcome note and engaging the other teams and preparing company manuals beforehand so that the recruit faces little to no issue on their very first day at work. It also becomes necessary for the managers and the already working members of the company to be highly patient with the new worker as it is an obvious thing for a newcomer to stumble upon the work culture.
Building An Effective Onboarding Process
The key to building the best onboarding process is to maintain consistency. If a new hire has the assurance that the onboarding process provided by her company is reliable, efficient, and also has a clear communication and documentation process, the employee feels at home instantly.
One way of ensuring this effectiveness and communication is using employee onboarding software, free of cost initially, and then finding a vendor/add-ons that fit well with your objectives, organization, and workforce. An onboarding software enables a business to offer their new recruits a fun, engaging, and smooth onboarding experience.
Having said that, there are a few tips to ensure a seamless onboarding procedure:
- Create a schedule: Organizing and outlining the first day of your employee is a must to provide them with a sense of comfort and belongingness in the new environment. Plan all the meetings and training sessions with all the who, whom, and where details to make their first day a little less confusing.
- Prepare the workspace beforehand: A warm welcome note, helping teammates, and proper virtual workspaces are a few of the most important things any employee deserves on their first day at work.
- Show off: Enjoy the entire onboarding time and speak about the achievements and milestones of your company. Express how your organization follows a gradual process of introducing the employees to new tasks and goals, thus affirming them on their career growth.
- Get a welcome gift: Instead of focussing on expensive gifts try investing in the idea of what might be helpful to a new hire. As this will provide a notion that you are excited to have them on board and willing to invest in them. That would make them feel at home from the initial day.
- Revisit the onboarding process: Employing a new generation will be a challenge as the previously used onboarding process might not work for them. So, in that case, be open to feedback and ask for reviews. That will also help the recruit to understand that their views and opinions matter.
- Be patient and answer all queries: A new hire is going to have issues adjusting to the new environment. Being patient around them will boost the employee-manager relationship, further reinforcing the company’s culture and vision.
- Using a company directory: Having someone to reach out for help in case of any inconvenience during work hours is a must in any company. A group of people having sufficient knowledge of several company terms and being highly equipped with the company lingo will be a great help for a bewildered recruit. They would not have to depend on a fixed time or a manager to solve their issue, hence saving time.
- Digitize the paperwork: A good onboarding process is almost a 90-day-long procedure. So if all the paperwork is digitalized, it would prevent duplication of the process and also reduce confusion and chaos to an extent.
- Add a little fun: Once a new hire is a member of the team, organize trivia games on weekends and encourage equal participation from all. As it would serve the purpose of breaking the ice and familiarizing all the workers with each other.
Conclusion: Ensuring the presence of all the preceding steps during the onboarding process might help in having a seamless onboarding experience.